5 facts about your 5-a-day
How much do you know about your 5-a-day?
We are constantly advised to make sure we eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each and every day, but how many of us actually know what that means, or how much fruit actually constitutes a portion? The following 5 tips are put together to help you gain a deeper understanding of your 5-a-day.
1) Beans, pulses and fruit juice all count towards your 5-a-day, however, they only count at 1 portion however many portions you eat.
2) A portion depends on the fruit or vegetable you choose. For example, ½ a pepper is 1 portion, however you must eat 2 plums for them to equal 1 portion of your 5-a-day.
3) Potatoes do not count as 1 of your 5-a-day. Whilst they are vegetables, the main nutrient in potatoes is carbohydrate, or starch. However, sweet potatoes do count as 1 of your 5 a day due to their high vitamin A content, as well as vitamin C.
4) An average sized adult should aim to eat around 400g of fruit and vegetables every single day.
5) Fruit and vegetables of all storage variations count towards your 5-a-day, including fresh, canned, frozen, dried and juiced.
Leave a Reply
There are no comments yet.
Spring is upon us and with the warmer
Renowned for their high levels of anti-oxidants and